Laserfiche Automated Uploader

Background / Purpose

    Here at the company where I am employed, Left Coast Scanning Chico California, there was a tedious task. Uploading the files, and them failing was always a problem. The task had to be monitored, and took time out of work just to make sure that it was successfully uploading.
    Sure, you could upload one file at a time, but that was super ineffective on saving time. Sure you could upload large amounts of files at once, but that would have freezing issues randomly, and you wouldn't even know until the end of the upload, which would take hours.
    So how do we fix this? How do we get the reliability of uploading one file at a time, AND not have to monitor the upload? 

Using Python, Selenium Package, and the Google Chrome Driver, I created an application that would allow me to autonomously upload selected files to the desired web-page. I had no experience in either the Selenium Package, nor the Google Chrome Driver, so this was all new experience to me.

Method / Execution

    I took the liberation to make a script for my supervisor that would automatically upload all the files from a directory. Of course this took a few months to work out all the bugs and complete the project, but now it works flawlessly without error.

Disclaimer: I would like to apologize for all the red in the images. I am very restricted for what I am allowed to show.    

Launching the application

    The image above is the desktop that I work with. To start the upload, I just have to launch the shortcut on the bottom right.


The uploader startup

    When you launch the uploader, a chrome window will appear, which is Selenium working utilizing the Chrome Driver. Some other stats appear in the Python Console Window showing what will be uploaded and where it will be uploaded on the webpage.


The login screen
    
    The Python Script will automatically login to Laserfiche, using the Account ID, User Name, and Password Stored within the script. 

The upload Process

    Once logged in, it will now recursively upload files that are in the target directory. This process will continue until all the files are uploaded. Once the file is uploaded it will be moved into another folder, named the same path structure as the parent path, with one change. The moved destination for the file will have the " - Complete" at the end of the name. All uploaded files will move into this created folder.


Comments